I wanted to give you guys one of my favorite recipes. I would highly recommend making these because they are so soft and delicious. You would not be disappointed.
- 2 teaspoons of active dry yeast
- 1.5 tablespoon of sugar
- 1.25 cups of water
- 3.5 cups of unbleached flour or bread flour, plus extra for kneading
- 1.5 teaspoons of salt
- 2 tsp of cinnamon [optional]
- Sprinkle the yeast and sugar into a .5 cup of water in a bowl or Styrofoam cup. Make sure the water is 105 to 110 Fahrenheit because that is the perfect temp for active dry yeast. Stir the yeast and sugar in the water and wait five minutes or more for the yeast to become foamy. Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle of the mixture and when the yeast is done, pour it into the well. Pour .5 cups of water into the well as well and mix the dry and wet ingredients together. The best mixing method is to use one hand. Add more water if need be. Form a firm and moist dough. Turn the dough onto a floured work surface such as your clean countertop. Knead the dough for ten minutes until its smooth and elasticy. The dough will also feel easier to knead. Add as much flour as needed. Although, if you use too much flour, then the dough will have cracked seams.
- Use a different large bowl, oil it with butter or pam, and put your kneaded dough in the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap or a towel and let it rise until its doubled in size. This will take an hour in a retarder and three hours if left in your kitchen with room temperature.
- When it has rised, punch down the dough and cover for another 10 minutes. Once down, weigh your dough and cut the dough into eight equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Make sure its smooth on top. Insert a ring into each ball by inserting your finger in the middle and making a hole. Keep spinning your dough so the hole takes up 1/3 of the diameter.
- Place the bagel on a lightly oiled baking sheet with parchment paper. Cover for ten minutes to rest the dough.
- This step is the fun part. You will get a large pan of water to a boil and then reduce the water to a light simmer. Use a perforated skimmer to lower one or two bagels into the water. You should boil them for thirty seconds and then flip them for another thirty seconds. Once done, transfer the bagels to another oiled baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake at 425 F for 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Enjoy when cooled. Serve with cream cheese or jam. The bagels are on the top sheet and the bottom sheet.
Thank you for reading & I hope you enjoy,